"If you can't get rid of the family skeleton, you may as well make it dance"
-George Bernard Shaw


Sunday, September 2, 2018

Organization

I think the most organized thing in my house is my genealogy research.  Sorry, mom, I know you tried.  Although I have a pile of pages that need to be filed away, I can still find what I'm looking for in that stack pretty quickly.   Even my digital genealogy files are super organized.

This got me thinking about genealogy organization.  I was scrolling through Pinterest the other day and checking out the pins.  There are some great ones on Genealogy organization if you need ideas or help!  I also was thinking about the difference between my two parents and me and our organizational styles.  Just with the three of us, we all organize our research very differently. 

Starting with me, I use a combination of methods.  I use file folders by married couple names (generally) to keep hard papers in.  There are a few exceptions.  I have been using this method almost since I could get my hands on file folders.  This idea came from the book Organizing your family history search by Sharon Carmuck.  You can pick up a copy pretty inexpensive on Amazon.  I addition to the file folders I use binders for my major family surnames.  Again this came from Carmuck's book.  I adapted this and use the binders that you can put pages in the front and back.  I place a form with a surname list and year ranges that I am researching.  In my digital files, I have a similar setup. I have one major file called Genealogy, then divide by surnames-similar to the ones that I have in my binders.  I then have different divisions under my surnames based on my needs.  I have files for couples, cemeteries, record types and photos.  The advantage of digital files is no stacks of paper!

Now my mom prints everything and puts them into binders.  She uses those post-it tabs and organizes by family couple.  She also uses the file folder method similar to mine.  Mom is a little less technology-oriented and handwrites all her research notes.  Don't worry I'm working on getting her to put her research into her copy of Legacy. 

My dad's research is based on the local cemeteries.  Dad is a paper and pen kind of guy.  He is working to make the information on Find A Grave more complete as well as contribute to the local research for our genealogy society.  Dad prints out a page then makes his notes on the page.  Highlights the line he finishes.  He has found a lot of interesting stories through his research.  I keep urging him to write a blog about these stories.  I think I may have to steal his stories and share them. 

There are many ways to organize your own research and it has to make sense to you. How do you organize your research?  Share your organization style below in the comments. 

Happy Hunting!

No comments:

Post a Comment