"If you can't get rid of the family skeleton, you may as well make it dance"
-George Bernard Shaw


Tuesday, September 11, 2018

Remembering September 11th

This morning I woke up and the first thing that I did was lower my flag outside to half mast.  17 years ago today I, along with so many Americans and the world, watched in horror as terrorists attacked our country.  I watched a tribute for 9/11 done to the song "The Sound of Silence" performed by Disturbed.  I already love this song, done with this tribute I balled my eyes out.  I then posted on my facebook business page and my personal profile a thank you tribute of my own and texted a friend and thanked him for being a veteran. 

This thought strikes me.  My kids will read and learn about September 11th in their history books.  But they won't understand the impact of watching the two planes hit the towers or watching each tower collapse, even on live TV.  I remember watching in fear that my ex-husband would be mobilized in Marnie Corps Reserve unit that night.  We all know that catastrophic loss the occurred that day and the war that ensued.  Everyone knew someone who was "over there" every more so I think everyone knew someone who didn't come home.

I also relate this to many other events in history though.  Generations before us saw these events and watched in horror, maybe not on live tv, but had the same feelings of fear, anger, and determination to fight back.  These are things that we now read in our history and do not get the emotional connection, although I think now I do.  Events that our ancestors may have been involved in that we learn about as we go about our research in this crazy hobby of ours.

Hug your families and honor those who came before us and made the ultimate sacrifice.  Thank you to all our Firefighters, Emergency Medical Personel, and Police Officers who protect our homes, health, and lives.  Thank you to our Veterans that protect our country and our freedoms. 


Happy Hunting


No comments:

Post a Comment