"If you can't get rid of the family skeleton, you may as well make it dance"
-George Bernard Shaw


Monday, September 3, 2018

Things I never research without! Top 10

                                                                                                                                                                    In the past, I've talked about my top 10 things I cannot research without and my favorite tools.  Today though I'm talking about the things that I absolutely will not without a doubt research without, whether at home or on the go.

1. family information

How I carry my family information depends mostly on location.  Generally, I carry my laptop with me or at least my smartphone.  Adding Evernote and Microsoft OneDrive to my repertoire has helped me with having access to information as long as I have access to a computer.  I also save all my files to OneDrive now so I almost always have access to my research information.  The key here is having access to the internet.  When I can't have my computer with me, using paper printouts or notes of the information is essential.

It's important to know what the restrictions are before traveling to a repository to research.  You don't want to be turned away because you have the wrong tools or aren't allowed to carry certain things into the area where the documents are.  Or can't research when you don't have the right information with you.

2. my note-taking forms

I have been using a specially made note taking form for some time now.  It's a simple form with the ancestor's name and birth and death dates on the top.  Okay, I admit, I have a couple different versions.  One version has room for identification #s and a small column on the left-hand side, which I use frequently for dating my notes. This form can be found at The Genealogy Shoppe online.  The second form I use is simpler but works just as well.  This version was created by Thomas R. Beatty and can be found on the Scott County, Kentucky Genealogy Society page.

For more specific note taking I have other forms such as census forms (I use ancestry's version, but there are many others available), obituary extraction forms from ShoeString Genealogy (he has many forms and they are in color!!!!  Just Google search "Shoe String Genealogy"), and several others....you get the idea.  I've even created a few of my own forms.

3. Family group sheet

Legacy gives me the option of  creating family group sheets from my data I entered.  When I create my family group sheets I use the option to leave the blanks in the data that I have not found yet.  These are handy for taking notes on in addition to my note taking sheets.  Legacy also gives me the option to print a blank family group sheet.

My favorite family group sheet to fill in by hand is from Ancestry.  I probably have 300 of these printed up!  I use these forms in multiple ways.  I use it to fill information in when I'm taking notes.  (Make sure to keep track of your sources). Many times I will use my colored pens and assigning a color for each source on the form.

4. Colorful ink pens

I used to get teased in nursing school for my selection of my colorful ink pens.  I use my pens when I'm taking research notes on paper for different sources.  I will write the source on the back of the page and makes notes on the front.  I use this technique with family group sheets as well as handwritten pages and other types of research pages. 

Normally I immediately transfer my information into my Legacy database.  One thing I cannot stress enough is to make sure to cite your sources. 

5. a pencil

There are times when researching at certain locations only a pencil is allowed.  One example I can think of is our local county clerk's office.  As researchers, we need to be very conscientious when we are working around fragile and precious documents. 

There are times I also use a pencil in my paper and pen note taking method above.  I can't tell you that I have a specific way of doing this.  I just do what works at the time.

6. calculator

Okay, I think that this one is rather obvious.  There are times when we just need a calculator.  When working with dates in cemeteries and headstones, using a calculator helps estimate birth dates and years. 

7. Highlighters

Okay another confession here, I like colored highlighters as much as I like my colored ink pens.  I use the highlighters in similar ways that I use my ink pens. 

If I plan to highlight on a photocopy, I usually make a second copy of whatever I'm working with or on so that my original stays intact.

8. Thumb drives

My local library has a microfilm scanner that one needs a thumb drive to save digital images of the scans on.  The key here is having a thumb drive with you to save the scans onto.  Again this goes back to knowing your repository and doing your homework ahead of time.  I have a little collection of thumb drives that I use for various things in my life.  One is for genealogy, one is for my school, one is for my professional organization involvement and so on.  Most of my files are on my OneDrive cloud now as well seems I can access that from any computer I'm on with internet access, but there are times that this isn't an option so the thumb drive is the solution.

9. Smartphone

One thing is for sure, technology advances daily.  There are so many apps for the smartphone on genealogy.  Not to mention the ability to access online information with data connections and access to your information just about anywhere.  Although it isn't just genealogy related apps that I use in my research.  I use the Adobe scan app for scanning pages and papers.  With my smartphone, I always have a camera with me as well.  Remember that calculator from above?  There's an app for that too!  For Legacy users, there's also an app for your phone that is compatible with your legacy file!  I would bet that other software programs have this available too. 

10.  Laptop computer

I've mentioned my computer several times in this post already.  It would be shameful not to include it in my top ten things I never research without.  I primarily use my laptop computer for all my computer needs.  I do own a desktop computer but that is saved for family use.  Why the laptop?  Portability.  I can take it just about anywhere with me.  I take it to work and use it on my lunch break, take it to my parent's house, even when I travel I have a laptop with me!  Where I live, in the months that allow me to, I frequently sit on my deck and work on my laptop as well. 

My laptop travels easily to the library or repository (when allowed) and I have my Legacy program on my laptop and access to my data right there.  I also don't have to worry about computing limits by using a computer lab computer if I bring my own. 



So what is on your top ten things you can't research without?  Any of these familiar?  Are there other things that you just can't research without??? Share below!

Happy Ancestor Hunting!

No comments:

Post a Comment