"If you can't get rid of the family skeleton, you may as well make it dance"
-George Bernard Shaw


Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Don't have to be a "hard-core hobbist"

I was sitting at my kitchen table today, immersed in a pile of papers all related to genealogy and a thought came to me. I am what most people I know would consider a "hard-core" genealogy hobbist. Actually I'm not sure how many would think I was just a hobbist and how many would think I was more...but I digress.
I don't know how many times I have heard, "I would like to do it (it being genealogy), but I don't have the time like you do"....wait! I have time? When did that happen? Did they forget I just gave birth to my second child and I am still going to nursing school? My point is, you don't need hours a day to spend time researching your family lines, although sometimes it is nice, isn't it? Many people spend time, several hours a week in fact, devoted to their favorite television shows. Now isn't that spare time?
My solution is this: take you laptop, most house holds have at least one, to the couch with you and load it with your favorite genealogy software (there are free ones out there) or print out some forms (those which can also be found free just by googling for "Free Genealogy forms") and go to some of the online sites to search your family history. Don't want to miss an important plot on your show? Then use the commerical time for your research. You don't need hours a day or a week to make progress on your research, just a few minutes here and there. You can even use this TV time to write letters to your current living relatives and gather information on the current members of your family that way...yes I said write letters...good old snail mail, or email if you prefer, but make sure you print copies of the information your family sends you back.
This is just one suggestion that I have made many times in the past and here I present it to you, my audience to share with those around you who "don't have the time like you do" to begin their journies into genealogy and for those who are still resistant, I almost envy them....they don't know what it is like missing half a night's sleep before a big deadline, event, etc because they found a hot genealogy lead.
Take Care,
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays if I don't 'see' you before then.
Happy Hunting!

No comments:

Post a Comment