"If you can't get rid of the family skeleton, you may as well make it dance"
-George Bernard Shaw


Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Computer Woes

Hi gang!
I hope you're all enjoying green beer, attire and being Irish for a day!  Today has been a touch difficult.  My computer went into Bios mode today (I'm currently using a loaner).  Apparently one of two things are wrong....either my hard drive has gone bad or my OS has gone bad.  I'm praying it's my OS and my hard drive contents can be saved.

SO?!?!?!?!  What does this have to do with genealogy?  All my files were on that computer.  Photos, newspaper clippings, GEDcom files, legacy files....need I go on?  While most of my files are backed up onto my thumb drive....not everything is.  My last upload to my website was in January.  Okay. Again most of my research is saved, other that what I've done over the past few days....which is several hours worth.  Fortunately I take good notes and I've been utilizing Evernote more and more effectively for my research.

So my problem is that my file I downloaded from Tribal Pages doesn't have anyone linked to anyone else!  Yes that's what I said....no one is linked to whom they belong to....4486 people need to be linked back together to their family members.  I'm just about to cry! 

I have one last hope....I'm sure I made a copy of my file and copied it onto my mom's computer. I'm waiting for mom to call me back to see if I have or not.

In the meantime, I'm hoping that my hard drive will be saved and I'm emailing a cousin to see if I sent him a copy of my file.  ****SOB****

Okay guys, how many times have I told you guys to back up your work and back it up often?????  Don't we all hate it when this bites us in the rear? 

I challenge you all to do this: GO BACK UP ALL YOUR STUFF RIGHT NOW!

Happy Hunting and Happy Saint Patrick's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment