"If you can't get rid of the family skeleton, you may as well make it dance"
-George Bernard Shaw


Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Sourcing

Isn't it fun to add names to your database?  I picked up another line of my husband's genealogy (ultimately my kids' ancestors) and added a bunch of names onto my husband's maternal grandmother's line.  I still have to go back an verify my work with other sources, but I have a start on the information. 
That brings  me to my thought for the night, first of all, never take another reseracher's information for gospel truth, I know there are many good researchers out there, but you should always verify the information that you find.  Second always, always, always give credit to the source you got your information from and always ask permission from the researcher for their information.  Also if you get, for example, an obituary from another researcher's information, you site the information from that researcher, not the source of the obit unless you see it yourself.  Plus you should always verify with those sources yourself as well.
Not much else to add to this...short and sweet tonight.  :)

As always, Happy Researching!

No comments:

Post a Comment