"If you can't get rid of the family skeleton, you may as well make it dance"
-George Bernard Shaw


Sunday, May 25, 2014

My Genealogy updates....

It's been a busy genealogy week for me!
I have to admit that I didn't reach my goal for Billion Graves....between getting a cold a week ago and the frequent rain the past couple weeks I haven't been able to get out to the cemeteries to take photos.  But at least I'm still on the top 50 contributors for the month! 

Now for the fun stuff....

I received a file this week from my cousin and I was able, with his research, connect my lines to direct descendant of 4 Mayflower passengers!  Apparently the 'famous' couple Priscilla Mullins and John Alden are my 10th Great Grandparents!  I say famous that way because I have not heard of them, however I'm sure others have. John was the cooper aboard the Mayflower and Priscilla sailed with her parents and her brother, all of whom died the first winter in America, leaving Priscilla alone.  Priscilla choose to stay in the new colony rather than return to England where she had another brother and a sister living.  This couple, along with Miles(Myles) Standish, another Mayflower traveler, are subject to Henry Wadsworth Longfellow's poem, The Courtship of Miles Standish.  The poem makes for a good story, but there is no historical documentation of Mile Standish's courtship of Priscilla.

John Alden and Priscilla Mullins
 I've also found that Priscilla and John's son, John Alden, Jr. was accused of witch craft during the Salem Witch Trials.  Here is a good website for more information on the Witch trials.  Apparently John Jr was involved in freeing several Indians that were involved in orphaning many of the accusers and theory speculates that is really the reason why John Jr was accused.  John Jr managed to escape imprisonment and flee to New York where he and several other accused were held safe by others until the hysteria died down.  After the hysteria was over, John Jr returned to Salem, posted bail and the case was ultimately dismissed. 
Salem Witch Craft Trials
3rd Cousin 8 times removed.
My next exciting find this week is my 3rd cousin 8 times removed....President John Adams!  John Adams is descended through another Alden, this time a daughter, Ruth, whose daughter Hannah married into the Adams family.  This was extremely interesting to me to find this connection because Abigail Adams has always been one of my favorite women in history. 
Abigail Adams

2nd US President, John Adams
Feel free to share your fun finds in the comments!  I love hearing from my readers!
Happy Hunting!

No comments:

Post a Comment