"If you can't get rid of the family skeleton, you may as well make it dance"
-George Bernard Shaw


Sunday, May 4, 2014

BillionGraves Challenge

Hi All!  For those that have been following me know that it's no secret that I support free genealogy.  Recently a new website has come onto the scene in promoting free genealogy called BillionGraves found at www.Billiongraves.com.  This is a site dedicated to photographing and transcribing cemeteries.  This month BillionGraves is challenging its users to upload 50,000 photographs or transcribe 75,000 records.  Sounds like a lot?  Well it is and it takes some dedication, but there's a prize! A free ipad mini! Yes that's what I said free!  Check out their website (above) for more details.  Plus anyone that makes the top 50 photographer list or top 50 transcriber list gets a BillionGraves pin.  Think it' impossible? Well, I'm going to prove that its not.  Tonight I uploaded 321 photos that took me about 45 minutes to photograph...with both kids in tow.  The mobile app is available for download...again check out their website for info...I don't want to steer anyone wrong.  I have an iPhone and I downloaded the app from iTunes.  Plus I didn't have to upload and use up my airtime data while I was at the cemetery taking photographs, I was able to upload my photos when I returned home and was connected to my wireless connection...also saving my battery time for photo taking in the cemetery.  And just for a frame of reference on usage...on my phone, I'm not saying everyone's phone is equal....I started at 100% charge when I reached the cemetery and I was at 71% when I left. 
Now the app itself is fairly easy to use.  There's also a tutorial on use of the app.  Plus the website adds additional features. 
So cheer me on as I work my way to 50,000 photos this month.  I'll keep you all posted on my progress as I go.  And I you're going for this challenge too let me know so we can cheer each other on!
Happy Hunting!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment