"If you can't get rid of the family skeleton, you may as well make it dance"
-George Bernard Shaw


Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Fearless Females March 1st: #1 Favorite Female

In honor of Women's History Month Lisa Alzo has written on her Blog The Accidental Genealogist 31 blogging prompts to honor our female ancestors.  So I know that this first entry is a few hours late for the first one, but better late than never...

March 1 — Do you have a favorite female ancestor? One you are drawn to or want to learn more about? Write down some key facts you have already learned or what you would like to learn and outline your goals and potential sources you plan to check.

I choose my 3rd Great Grandma down my Fitzgerald line Emily.
Emily Tennyson, or Emma as was sometimes referred to, was born about June 1816 in Ireland or England.  She married John Fitzgerald.  They had at least 10 children: William Tennyson, Mary, Emma, Thomas, Agnes, John, Maragret Elisabeth, James Francis and Edward and an unknown male child.  Emily Died 26 December 1897 in Pennsylvania.
So here is what I do know...somewhere between the time Emily was born and 1840 when her oldest son, William, was born she immigrated to the United States.  William was born in New York City, NY while the rest of her children were born in Pennsylvania.  Emily's death is listed in the Saint Columba Catholic Church death book.  Saint Columba is in Bloomsburg, PA.  Margaret Elisabeth and James were both baptised at St. Joseph Catholic Church in Danville, PA.  I also know that her son, Thomas (my Great Great Grandfather) was born in Danville. 

So the 'sketchy' information that I have is a family legend that says the Emily was sent to the United States as a young girl so that her "Unlce Alfred" could take her inheritance when her father died.  Also according to William's obituary, Emily was the sister of Alfred Lord Tennyson, the writer....but unless she was a half sister, she isn't that Emily Tennyson, although I read somewhere that Alfred Tennyson's father had affairs...but can I fing that article now? Of course not! 
What I think: I know that Emily's husband John is buried in Old Rosemont Cemetery in Bloomsburg, PA, so I think Emily may be buried here.  I think that Emily may have actually died in another county.  There is an Emma Fitzgerald who would be the right age listed living with a son, James in 1870 in Northumberland County, PA.  I am following up on that to see if there is an obituary or something. 

So where do I go from here?  I've been writing lots of letters to churches, etc to see if there is more information.  I have been contacting genealogy societies to get research done and I am planning a trip to Pennsylvania....someday.....to discover more about my ancestors.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, what a terrible reason to come to the US. I hope her uncle didn't get her inheritance. Good luck with your search.

    ReplyDelete