"If you can't get rid of the family skeleton, you may as well make it dance"
-George Bernard Shaw


Thursday, March 3, 2011

Fearless Females March 3: Names and Names Patterns

Do you share a first name with one of your female ancestors? Perhaps you were named for your great-grandmother, or your name follows a particular naming pattern. If not, then list the most unique or unusual female first name you’ve come across in your family tree.
I'm not named after anyone.  My parents choose my first name because Alanna is gaelic for Helen. I was once told that my middle name was actually a consideration for my first name, but I'm glad they choose Alanna for my first name.  (Prounounced uh-Lane-uh).  Little know fact my middle name is Colleen, but it is spelled Collen, because there was a typo on my birth certificate.  I've thought about having it corrected for years, but for some reason never have had it done. 

I named my own daughter, Lillian, after my great grandmother and her middle names Fern and Elizabeth are after my husband's grandmother and my grandmother respectively.  Yes, my daughter has 2 middle names.  My son, Liam, wasn't named after anyone for his first name, but his middle names John Thomas are for many men in my family.  John is my husband's middle name, my dad's first name and my father-in-law's first name. John is a very common name in many branches of my family tree. Thomas is my Dad's middle name and my Grandpa's first name. 
Lily and Liam in March 2010

2 comments:

  1. Your children are adorable and I love their names!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Paula! I can't believe that this photo is a year old already! My son was months old in this photo...now he's 15 months...I guess its time for new photos. :)

    ReplyDelete