"If you can't get rid of the family skeleton, you may as well make it dance"
-George Bernard Shaw


Thursday, March 10, 2011

Fearless Females March 10: Religion


What role did religion play in your family? How did your female ancestors practice their faith? If they did not, why didn’t they? Did you have any female ancestors who served their churches in some capacity?

My family is, for the most part, Roman Catholic.  My Great Grandpa's half sister was a nun.  Elsie Jane Wood joined the convent after her husband died, presumably overseas, during WWI.  She was part of the Society of Helpers convent in Chicago, IL.  My grandma talked about Sister Elise frequently.  She would tell me that she always looked forward to recieving her cards and letters in the mail.  We never knew what happened to her until a couple years ago when I spoke to one of the Nuns that knew Sister Elise and told me many things about her.  She told me that Sister Elsie died in 2004.  There was a definate fondness in her voice for Sister Elsie when she told me about her and I know she has a special place in my Grandma's heart.  Someday I hope to take my grandma to pay her respects.

2 comments:

  1. What wonderful photos and I hope you get to take your grandma one day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your wonderful comments Paula! I've been trying to track down Elsie's death information without much luck yet. But I'll find it. :)

    ReplyDelete