"If you can't get rid of the family skeleton, you may as well make it dance"
-George Bernard Shaw


Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Fearless Females March 2nd

Post a photo of one of your female ancestors. Who is in the photo? When was it taken? Why did you select this photo?


This is my 3rd Great Grandmother, Mary Elizabeth Deverney Valley.  I found this photo in a box of stuff that my Aunt has.  I estimate that the photo was taken about 1860.  Mary would have been in her early 20's in this photo.  I choose this photo because I find her very striking.  I have been trying to learn more about her.  I frequently wonder what she was like and what wa her life like. 

5 comments:

  1. What a wonderful photo to have. The oldest photo I have is from 1860 as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this photo. You are very lucky to have a photo that old. I hope you can find out more about her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this photo. You are lucky to have a photo this old. I hope you can find out more about her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is really cool to have a box with treasures like that. Most of our older family stuff was lost when my uncle sold my grandmothers house. He threw most everything away.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It always breaks my heart to hear things like that. Whenever my family starts throwing stuff out like that I try to get my hands on it.

    ReplyDelete