"If you can't get rid of the family skeleton, you may as well make it dance"
-George Bernard Shaw


Friday, March 11, 2011

Fearless Females March 11: Tragic Death

Did you have any female ancestors who died young or from tragic or unexpected circumstances? Describe and how did this affect the family?
My original entry on this was posted on July 25, 2010.

Last summer I discovered that my 3rd Great Grandma (Maria Wood) was murdered by her husband, my 3rd great grandpa (Joseph Wood) in 1869 in New York State.  The scene was described in gruesom detail in the local papers.  Appartenly Joseph, in a alcohol psychosis, accused Maria of being unfaithful and killed her with an axe.  All reports from the towns people afterwards credit Maria as having an impecable character.   The news paper reports describe a horrific scene of blood and gore. 
I don't think we'll ever truely know what was going through Joseph's mind when he took the axe to his wife.  My first reaction when I read this was shock and disbelief. But, this is history, my history, as disturbing as it might be. 

3 comments: