"If you can't get rid of the family skeleton, you may as well make it dance"
-George Bernard Shaw


Sunday, March 20, 2011

Fearless Females March 20: Brickwall

Is there a female ancestor who is your brick wall? Why? List possible sources for finding more information.

Today's entry is an easy one.  And is no secret.  My brickwall would be Emily (Tennyson) Fitzgerald.  First of all lets start with what I do know.   Emily (and her husband John) are my immigrant ancestors from Ireland.  Emily may have been born in England though.  Sometimes on the Census it states she was born in England, so metimes it says Ireland.  There is a family story that has been passed down that she was the niece of Alfred Tennyson and he sent her to the United States with her nanny after her father died to steal her inheritance.  Although the story is pretty unlikely given Emily's aprox birthdate and Tennyson's brother's birthdates.  My most recent breakthrough was Emily's oldest son's obituary that states she was Tennyson's sister.  As far as I can tell from my research, she is not.  Tennyson's sister Emily never left England and married a man named Richard Jesse.  I once read that Tennyson's father had children by mistresses, but I cannot confirm that information, my theory is that Emily may be a half sister.
So the search continues.  I have contacted one of the catholic churches in Columbia County, PA and am awaiting to hear from them if they have additional information on Emily and John and/or their children.  I know where John is buried, but have not heard back from the Cemetery with my request for more information if it is available.  My family and I are planning a research trip to the area of Pennsylvania to follow up on research leads and visit the cemeteries and other places of importance in the family's lives. 

1 comment: